Initially the hall was used for parish council meetings and community events. At that time Stoke Bishop was mainly fields, with most houses we know today being built in the first half of the 20th Century.
1893 The Boys Club
Monthly entertainment organised during the winter months included concerts, recitals, magic lantern shows and travel talks. Numbers were never high as the rules were strict. No smoking, whistling or shouting were allowed, and a breach of the rules could lead to suspension for a week, fortnight or the rest of the season.
1897 The Men’s Club
In 1897, the Boys Club gave way to a club for men over 18 where smoking was allowed, but to begin with not cards. Numbers were still low, but improved with the provision of more games, such as quoits and ping-pong, with end of season financial prizes. Competitions were held against teams from Horfield, St Albans and Westbury.
As well as concerts for all, there were smoking concerts for men only when they could smoke and chat. Cards were only allowed from 1906 after a long debate and on the strict condition that only men over 21 could play.
Belgian refugees on the Downs. They used the hall during WWI.
1914-18 The Great War
Many members fought in the Great War. The names of those who did not return are on the Stoke Bishop war memorial. The former Post Office opposite the village hall was purchased as a memorial club for men, but this failed to gain much support and was let, then sold 10 years later.
1918-1939 Between the wars
Between the two wars, the hall continued to be used for many pre-War activities. However there were more dances, social evenings and jumble sales to accommodate the new Stoke Bishop population moving into the area as new homes were built in the surrounding fields.
1939-45 World War II
During World War II, the hall was used for Air Raid Precaution (ARP) meetings, Red Cross meetings and for issuing ration books.
The local school was burnt out in a raid in 1940 and some classes were held in the hall until 1950, when the new school at Cedar Park was opened.
1950s and Beyond Running the Hall
Since 1973, the hall has been leased from Bristol City Council by the Stoke Bishop Community Association. It is run by a volunteer committee and financed from letting income, fundraising events and external grants.